Search:

Search VTCouponer: Search Google:

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Frugal (and warm) Home Craft - DIY "Insulated" Curtains

So we live in a drafty old house.  The windows have storms, but you can still feel the cold just radiating off them.  We have blinds, but you can still feel the cold.  It was time to get crafty!  With a couple old twin bedspreads, 15 minutes of sewing, and fixing one curtain rod, voila!  "Insulated" curtains that are pretty festive too!  LOL  I happened to have these bedspreads hanging around, but you could grab something at the thrift store, or use some heavier cheap fabric.  I actually used felt by the yard to do the same thing in an old house, but used them as liners with regular fabric curtains over them.

Please excuse the horrible, hideous chair that hubby refuses to get rid of... it's "comfortable", according to him.  *sigh*  We have two double windows like this on either side of our living/dining room and I did them both.  I can already feel the temperature difference in the house!  I'm not sitting here shivering!  LOL  I'm going to be digging through old fabric and stashed-away stuff tomorrow and see what else I can come up with for the other windows!  :)  Just a reminder that you don't have to buy expensive curtains to stay warm and save on heating expenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment